...Now I can skip all the crap and get straight to the good stuff, and I'm serious when I say that.
The typical plight for me as a fan of (good) YA Lit is searching through the mounds upon mounds of rehashed, formulaic, Twilight knock-offs for something decent to read. I was getting pretty good at sifting the chaff from the wheat (the cover art is always your first clue to the contents of a book, followed by the description, but that's a blog for another day), but it was still a tedious, time-consuming task that often left me empty-handed. The harder I tried, the more vampire vomit flooded the shelves.
At first I was appalled when I walked into Barnes and Noble and found that the Teen section had been segregated, in essence, by how close each book came to resembling Twilight. What a disgusting idea, I thought. What is this world coming to? Once again, I left the store without a book. I couldn't wrap my mind around what possessed some evil marketers to do such a sleazy thing. The next couple of times I went to the bookstore, I just stared despondantly at the massive new section until it was time t go.
Yesterday, however, was a different story. I went to pick up a book for a project in English, and my sister and I decided we might as well explore the teen section while we were there. Maybe the shock had finally worn off, or maybe it was the pressure I felt from the Pre-Calculus work awaiting me at home, but I breezed right by the "Teen Paranormal Romance" section and straight to the smaller shelves labeled simply "Teen Fiction."
In about fifteen minutes, I had more success at finding good titles than I've had searching for an hour or more.
I'm not putting a hex on every book that resides in the "Teen Paranormal Romance" section. In fact, there are several books that I enjoy that have wound up there (for what I think is a total stretch of the definition "paranormal"). Still, my favorite books are sitting snug in the"Teen Fiction" section, and I suspect that it will be much easier from now on to add more favorites from these humble, half-sized shelves.
No comments:
Post a Comment