Sunday, May 15, 2011

Book Review--Identical

     I should start out by saying that Ellen Hopkins' books are not for the faint of heart. She gives an uncensored, first-person point-of-view on sexual abuse, drug and alcohol usage, and disorders such as bulimia, Identical being no exception. However, I think she opens up several important conversations that are often hushed in society, which is why I decided to pick up a couple of her books.
     What caught me by surprise is that Hopkins writes completely in free verse (or sometimes concrete) poems. Although sometimes getting from line to line is a bit confusing, it's a unique style that creates a certain blunt atmosphere that you couldn't otherwise achieve through regular prose. Hopkins writes in first person, switching between the protagonist twins, Kaeleigh and Raeanne, an easy transition that occurs within the length of a typical chapter. Each twin has a distinct verse--I can't recall ever forgetting which perspective I was reading in. Altogether, it was an interesting and well-written style that I will enjoy seeing more of in the future.
     The focus of most if not all of the character development falls on the main characters, the Gardella family. Each of the four family members is dissected and explored thoroughly, leaving no loose ends as to their personality or the motives behind what they do. The twins contrast each other nicely, and the family dynamics feel real, despite unbelievable circumstances. The handful of other characters are not nearly explored so thoroughly, and maintain a surface-level status-quo through most of the book. However, it is clear that those characters are not in any way the focus of the story, and are in-fact outsiders to the Gardellas and their personal lives. The believability of these supporting characters are not compromised due to their lack of exploration.
     The plot is suspenseful and often intense. At times, you have to set the book aside and let the contents sink in. At other times, you can't stop turning the pages. It can be emotionally exhausting, simply because of the gravity of its contents. Still, Hopkins spins an artfully told, heart-gripping story. There are no grand adventures or quests to fulfill. It is simply a glimpse into the day-to-day life of a shattered family. Of course, there is still a build, a climax, and resolution, and the day-by-day story-telling is by no means tedious. I feel I can't say much more, other than the story draws you in and causes you to imagine yourself in the family's shoes. Also, it causes you to think. What more could you ask from a book?
     Identical is an incredible novel, although not for those with weak constitutions. For the strong-willed though, it is a wonderful way to start a dialogue about a silent epidemic that is becoming more prevalent. Unfortunately, Hopkins' novel might become more and more relevant as time goes on. But then, hopefully, it will shine as a beacon of hope and courage for all who stumble upon it.

No comments:

Post a Comment