Today in English, I have to write an in-class essay on two virtues that I should like to improve upon myself, if that makes any sense. The idea was taken from Ben Franklin's Autobiography, and is now being forced upon me through my AP Language and Composition class.
It didn't take me long to think of one--jealousy, or rather, need for the absence of it. I am an uncontrollably jealous friend. I don't like anyone else being as close to someone as I am. It makes me twitchy. For instance, my friend of eight years has in the process of our friendship also become a companion to my little sister. Often times, the situation borders on driving me crazy. It's the worst when this friend is over at our house, and I'm obsessing over who she's spending more time with: me or my sister? Then, when I saw that my sister is applying to the same school this friend attends, I could feel my blood boil a little.
So, seeing that this envy eats me up on a regular occasion, and that my sister might be attending the same school as the friend I am so jealous for, this virtue is something that needs the utmost attention.
Now I need to think of another flaw. Not that I'm at a loss for ideas; it's more of a "Where do I start?" Is peace a virtue? If it is, is that something I need to work on. I'm typically calm, but I'm also paranoid...about everything. Maybe that sounds contradictory, but it's true. Would peace help me then? Maybe so. Considering how I'm almost out of time to brainstorm, that might be the virtue I choose. I'll have to reread the prompt...
...because thinking about it, I already remember one facet of the assignment--I have to use some sort of metaphor, analogy, or irony to convey my point. For jealousy...how about a weed that wraps around its victim, killing all other plants around it until it kills the plant it's hanging on to. That sounds brutal, doesn't it? Well, it works. And for peace? Hmmmmmm...I'm still not sure. Maybe...I'm like a little bird who panics and breaths so fast it explodes? Okay, now I'm just rambling. But, I'm glad I had the time to think some of this out. At least now I have two "virtues" selected.
No comments:
Post a Comment