Time. Where does the time go? There is so much to do—school, homework, chores, showers, meals, relationships, devotionals. When I’m finally finished with everything you have to do, it’s ten o’clock on a school night. The weekend comes, and I’m so exhausted from the week that by the time I’m recuperated, it’s Sunday afternoon and time to start on homework.
There’s a list of things I want to do, and a stack of books I want to read, and as the week goes by, it’s not getting any shorter. I spent all of Thanksgiving break on NaNoWriMo, and Christmas break was a tired blur. Now it’s third quarter, which means there’s not a break in sight. I spend all day on Pre-Calculus and Chemistry. When there’s nothing better to do, it’s not such a big deal, but when suddenly you have amazing short story ideas and interesting books to read, it’s torture.
Sometimes, I wish I had a study hall, but not to work on homework. I wish I had a set time each day devoted simply to writing, reading, drawing, and creatively exercising my mind. If we could make room for recess and nap time in elementary school, why can’t we make time for relaxation and rejuvenation in high school? Maybe it’s because “the real world doesn’t work that way.” Doesn’t it? My dad doesn’t have homework. Once he’s home, he’s free. He has time to watch sports, and help my mom with her business, and hang out with my sister and I. If that’s real life, then I want to be there now.
I only ask for an hour a day. Get rid of one class, one class I’m never going to need (like Chemistry) in order to have some time to myself. I know it’s not possible, but I can dream, can’t I? There, that’s my spiel. Have a nice day.
No comments:
Post a Comment