Sunday, February 13, 2011

No time, No Quitting

     A few weeks ago I posted a list of books that I wanted to read through. That was at the beginning of the semester. I managed to get through two that I'd already started fairly quickly. But now, I have two books to read for AP English, a chapter a week to read each in APUSH and Ethics, twenty problems a night from my trigonometry unit in Honors Pre-Cal, plus I started tutoring two days a week in addition to working in the toddler room at my church on Wednesday nights. My free time has shrunk tremendously, but I'm here to say that I'm not giving up.
     I'm half-way through the third book on my list, Sunshine by Robin McKinley, and unless a miracle happens, the review isn't going to be good. It's a slow read, and the most time I can spend on it is usually for fifteen minutes every morning during homeroom, assuming that I've finished all my homework from the night before and have no quizzes or tests to study for between then and lunch break.
     Lately I've been a little overwhelmed, but I still want to pursue this new found passion for reading. If you like to write, then you've probably heard a million times, "If you want to be a good writer, then read, read, read!" That used to be hard for me. I was a picky reader growing up, and it's only been in these past couple of years that I've started to enjoy the task. And lately, I've finally found books that strike my interest--I realize I've been shopping in the wrong genre all along (but that's another story). Now, that I've found my niche, I want to dive in.
     Besides, I like this idea of reviewing books, even if I don't have an audience. I've always liked analyzing and reviewing movies, TV shows, and what have you, and doing so with books is just as intriguing. Maybe I can turn it into a hobby, or even a job some day. Might as well start now. That said, if I want to make something of it, I've got to stick to it. I don't intend to give this up--for now, I'll just have to be the tortoise in the race.
     ***Speaking of niche-finding and book-reviwing, I've made the decision to switch up the order of my books a little bit. As I mentioned when I first posted my book list, I expect to recieve a fair amount of book money for my birthday, with which I plan to buy books that I've been dying for. That knowlege, combined with my disappointment and discouragement over Sunshine (which I'll explain when I review it), has prompted me to move all of my birthday books ahead of the list I've already made. Most of the ones on my reading list now are either from the discount store where I got them for the heck of it, or old books that I'd previously had no desire to finish (usually for good reason). I believe that the less time you have for reading, the more desire you need for it. Therefore, I'm going to read all the best stuff while I'm in this third-quarter-high-school-junior-year-time-crunch, so that I've got the passion to actually finish, then read the lower-quality stuff when I've got more leisure time to put up with it. I'll post the new list after this one.
     One last thing--once I've reviewed a substantial amount of books, I think I'm going to transfer them over to a new blog soley for that purpose. This probably won't happen until the summer, but now I've got it in writing, so I won't forget! I'll let you know whenever that happens. Until then, all my reviews will be here on my personal blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment