Wednesday, December 1, 2010

NaNoWriMo

     I did it. I really did it. I wrote 50,000 words in 30 days, and now my novel is only a few scenes from being completed. It will be the first novel I've ever finished. I've broken down a wall, a barrier that for years stood between me and the success of completion.
     Usually, I'll start a great novel idea, and either give up, get bored, or get busy after the first several pages. The story usually doesn't even make it to the computer. But now, now I have 50,000+ words of one continuous story, the most I've ever written for a single idea.
     Some days were grueling.Some days I wanted to give up. I did last year, after only 10,000 words. But this year, I had the time, the energy, and the drive to go all in. This was my year, and now, I'm a novelist.
     The new title excites me. And it will become even more exciting tomorrow when I can activate my prize for winning. If you reach the 50,000 word goal by November 30, NaNoWriMo will give you a free proof copy of your book. There are six months to edit, and then you email the publishing company your text, and a few days later you receive a bound, tangible copy of your book
     I'm excited about what I've done. I'm excited about the editing that's to come. I know most of what I wrote was less than quality, and I look forward to shaping the skeleton that I wrote into something beautiful. I'm excited about getting a copy of my very own novel to place on my bookshelf along with some of my favorite books. I don't know if I can wait until June to get my proof copy.
     Should I try and publish? I would have to make it truly amazing. I would have to find an agent and an editor. I would have to pay for an agent and an editor. No, I decide. It's too soon for that kind of success. For now, I should content myself with what I've already accomplished, and continue to develop my writing skills in preparation for the publishing world.
     Even if a little of the joy of victory was drowned in the stress of homework last night, I'm still proud of myself, and excited, and ready to jump up and down and upside down and all around the room. I'm ready to run down the halls screaming, "I'm a novelist! I'm a novelist!!" Of course, I'm going to contain my joy; I won't be a nuisance to my peers. For now, I'll quietly celebrate my victory.

No comments:

Post a Comment