Friday, December 10, 2010

Jamie's Project

     So, Jamie brought home an interesting project for English. Take a scene from Romeo and Juliet and turn it into a manga. This project would be unheard of at my school, considering the art director things manga is from Satan. Needless to say, I got a little excited about it, and offered to help.
     We're doing the famous balcony scene. I had Jamie write out the four characters in the scene--Romeo, Juliet, and two of Romeo's clingy cousins--and then write characteristics of each person. Then, I passed onto her what Beaver told us at the beginning of the year about physiognomies. We brainstormed for the look of each character before she started sketching character designs. Romeo's basically going to be Tamaki from Ouran High School Host Club, and Juliette's going to be cute yet elegant with big curly hair. I can't wait to start storyboarding. I have a feeling this might turn into my project.
     Part of the reason I'm so excited is because I've been longing to turn The Tempest into a manga. I think the fantasy characters like Ariel and Caliban, not to mention the scenery of the island, would be enchanting. Unfortunately, The Tempest is a bit underappreciated, and Jamie's CP English class only covers the most prominent classics.
     Still, one of the things on my Christmas to-do list was to start drawing again, and maybe this project will inspire me to play with The Tempest in my free time.

No comments:

Post a Comment