Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Monster

     I didn't realize it until just now, when I saw an old photo of her.
I thought she was someone else.
     I had to do a double-take before I went back to examine the image, and sure enough, it was her.
All those years ago.
     I can't even picture her that way any more.
Back when we were the best of friends.
     And now I realize.
You're not that same person anymore.
     I couldn't tell you who that other person was.
The one smiling back at me from the photos.
     My memory of her is blurred and distorted by the person who now stands before me.
Streaks of dark eyeliner now mar that face that used to be so bright and beautiful.
     I do remember, though, exactly what happened, how you transformed, how you changed.
How you stabbed us in the back, how you tore us all apart.
     It still hurts to think about it.
And it hurts to see you now, what you've corroded into.
     When I see you in class, I often think to myself,
"How could I ever have been friends with you?"
     Now I see that I was never friends with you.
I was friends with her, the one whose skin you now walk in.
     You're a monster.
You're not the girl I loved.
     Sometimes I still want her back.
But I'm still so angry at you, and you've stolen her face.
    I can't look at it anymore, especially after what you've done to it.
I hate you.
     But now I realize that I can't hate her.
Maybe she let you in, but she could have never known how you'd devour her this way.
     How you'd eat her soul and spit out poison in its place.
I hate you.
     And because of you, I've lost her.
We all have.
     Deep down, we all miss her.
Won't you bring her back?
     Even for a moment.
Just to see that sparkle in her eye one last time.
     Before we all go our separate ways.
Or will I even be able to look?
     After what you've done to her?
You monster.

No comments:

Post a Comment